About Turn-About Ranch
Turn-About Ranch is a high-impact therapeutic program for troubled teenagers that provides adolescents with the opportunity to get an up-close look at the benefits of living and working on a horse and cattle ranch. Our mission is to empower teens with the traditional Christian values of honesty, openness, respect, teamwork and accountability that will prepare them for success.
Our residential treatment program features:
- Renowned Horsemanship Program
- Accredited Academics and a Vocational Program
- Individual, Group and Family Therapy with Master’s Level Therapists
- Mid-Term and Graduation Visits with Family
Independent research shows Turn-About Ranch achieves successful outcomes for teens and their families. A unique combination of therapy, academics and hands-on ranch experiences helps teens:
- Learn the value of hard work
- Develop a strong sense of self
- Practice new communication skills
- Establish a positive peer culture
- Understand the importance of family values and relationships
Turn-About Ranch employs a four-tiered level system to help teens develop leadership and decision-making skills. Each level includes a series of lessons as well as a workbook with goals, exercises and assignments that students must complete before moving on to the next level As teens demonstrate greater ability to make good decisions and achieve established goals, they graduate through the levels and gain more freedom.
Located in the high desert of Escalante, Utah, Turn-About Ranch is set against some of the most beautiful landscapes in North America. We take advantage of our proximity to Capitol Reef National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park and several state parks with hikes, horseback rides and visits to nearby historical sites.
A Typical Day on the Ranch
The day at Turn-About Ranch begins early in the morning with breakfast, morning chores, and an activity that may include school, therapy, a group hike, a horsemanship lesson or a work project. Work projects may include chopping wood, building a new fence or enclosure, bucking hay, or feeding and cleaning up after the pigs, sheep, horses and cows. After lunch, the students may do any number of other ranch chores like cleaning the kitchen, hauling wood or milking cows.
Academics are an important part of life at Turn-About Ranch. Every student receives an academic plan, and can earn up to one semester’s worth of credits. With small class sizes, plenty of personalized attention and hands-on educational experiences, Turn-About Ranch helps students get reinvested in their future.
Educational opportunities at Turn-About Ranch include the following classes:
- English: English 7-12, Literature, Creative Writing
- Math: Basic Math, Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
- Science: Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry
- Social Studies: U.S. History I & II, U.S. Government, World History I & II, World Geography, Economics, Psychology, Sociology
- Physical Education: Credit earned by participating in the Horsemanship Program, completing organized hikes and playing team sports
- Vocational Education: Auto Mechanics, Building Trades, Culinary Arts, Information Technology
As an alternative for students who may struggle in more traditional educational environments, we offer a vocational program that prepares teens for further education in a technical setting as well as the job market. Classes include culinary arts, auto mechanics, building trades, information technology and others.
Request your FREE confidential assessment here. Let us help you make the first step to recovery.
Turn-About Ranch is a residential treatment center for teens ages 13 to 17 who are struggling with the following:
- Defiance & Rebelliousness
- Low Self-Esteem
- Negative Peer Influences
- Manipulation or Lying
- Family Conflict
- Running Away
- Drug and Alcohol Use
- Poor Academic Performance